The Flagstar Strand Theatre will host the Oakland University jazz and world music programs, which will include student and faculty ensembles with OU artist-in-residence Regina Carter, from March 30 to April 2.
The Oakland University School of Music, Theatre, and Dance, in cooperation with the OU-Pontiac Initiative, is hosting these exceptional events.
“As usual, I’m looking forward to my next residence at Oakland University, where I’ll be performing with students and staff from the music department,” Carter stated. “This tour will be extra memorable because we’ll be spending the week in downtown Pontiac, practicing and playing at The Strand Performing Arts Theatre.”
The Oakland University jazz and world music programs, featuring student and faculty ensembles with OU artist-in-residence Regina Carter, will be in residency at the Flagstar Strand Theatre from March 30 – April 2.
The Oakland University jazz and world music programs — featuring student and faculty ensembles with OU artist-in-residence Regina Carter — will be in residency at the Flagstar Strand Theatre from Wednesday March 30 – Saturday, April 2.
These special events are being presented by the Oakland University School of Music, Theatre, and Dance in collaboration with the OU-Pontiac Initiative.
“As always, I’m looking forward to my upcoming residency, performing with students and faculty of the Oakland University music department,” Carter said. “This visit will be extra special as we’re spending the week, rehearsing and performing at The Strand Performing Arts Theatre in downtown Pontiac.”
Performances will include:
• Akwaaba, Ngoma, and Pan-Jumbies with Regina Carter — at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 30: OU African Ensemble (Akwaaba) will present Dagara gyil xylophone music of Ghana; World Percussion Ensemble (Ngoma) will perform Dagomba praise drumming of Ghana, along with original arrangements; and Steel Band (Pan-Jumbies) will feature Caribbean music arranged for the steel pan. Mark Stone and Patrick Fitzgibbon, directors. Tickets are $10 general, $8 student/senior/OU employee. Purchase tickets through Ticketmaster at www.ticketmaster.com/event/08005C35E2585540.
• Oakland Jazz Singers, Golden Grizzly Jazz Singers and Jazz Band with Regina Carter — at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 31: The Oakland Jazz Singers and Golden Grizzly Jazz Singers, led and accompanied by Scott Gwinnell, are close-mic vocal jazz ensembles dedicated to performing contemporary and traditional jazz vocal arrangements. The OU Jazz Band, led by Tim Blackmon, continues to uphold the American Big Band Tradition with a collection of fine soloist and ensemble players performing jazz music from the past, present, and the future. Tickets are $10 general, $8 student/senior/OU employee. Purchase tickets through Ticketmaster at this link: www.ticketmaster.com/event/08005C35C34D4B1F.
• Latin Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Combo and Creative Jazz Ensemble with Regina Carter — at 8 p.m. on Friday, April 1: The Latin Jazz Ensemble, directed by Enrique Rios-Ellis, performs dynamic selections featuring a variety of Latin rhythms, celebrating the breadth of the Americas, spanning from the United States to Mexico, Cuba, and Brazil. The Creative Jazz Ensemble, directed by Mark Stone, explores improvisation within the American experimental jazz tradition, taking an organic approach to musicking that transcends but includes jazz. The Jazz Combo is directed by Marion Hayden and performs jazz styles from traditional to contemporary in a small ensemble setting. Tickets are $10 general, $8 student/senior/OU employee. Purchase tickets through Ticketmaster at www.ticketmaster.com/event/08005C35C2714B01.
• Community Jazz Workshop with Regina Carter — from 12-2 p.m. on Saturday, April 2: This interactive workshop will give students and community members an opportunity to engage with Regina Carter on the fundamentals of musicality and improvisation. Participants are strongly encouraged to bring their instruments as there will be opportunities to play. To attend, RSVP via email to[email protected].
• Oakland University Jazz Collective with Regina Carter — at 3 p.m. on Saturday, April 2: The OU jazz faculty — including Mark Stone, Tim Blackmon, Scott Gwinnell, Mark Kieme, Marion Hayden, Gayelynn McKinney, Terry Kimura, and Enrique Rios-Ellis — will perform with OU artist-in-residence and acclaimed violinist Regina Carter. Featuring compositions by Djavan, Geri Allen, Sara Cassey, Thad Jones, Mark Stone and Scott Gwinnell. Tickets are $10 general, $8 student/senior/OU employee. Purchase tickets through Ticketmaster atwww.ticketmaster.com/event/08005C35B57D4682.
Dr. Enrique Rios-Ellis, visiting assistant professor of music at Oakland University, remarked, “Both the jazz and world music programs are excited to showcase the talent of Oakland University staff and students in the Pontiac community.” “Throughout these thrilling four days at the Flagstar Strand Theatre for the Performing Arts, world-renowned violinist and OU alumnus Regina Carter will perform alongside all of the OU musical ensembles participating.” I’m looking forward to meeting new people and having them join us for some amazing music!”
For more information about these and other upcoming events, visit oakland.edu/smtd/performances-and-events.