Queer, feminist, sci-fi fanatic, and 80s electronic music addict- he has been producing electronic music since 2011 and lives in his own world. Initially as a hobby, but as an independent artist since 2019. Bordeaux, France is home to Idlewood.
composing her songs alone. Her works were shared on music blogs and web radio. Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Kraftwerk, Klass Nomi, William Orbit, Pet Shop Boys, Brian Eno, and a host of other artists served as inspirations.
Idlewood uses vintage synthesizers to create cinematic music that tries to convey her ideas and stories. Idlewood tries to make each of her songs have a distinct atmosphere because each song expresses a different idea, story, or opinion. She is a self-employed artist who handles everything. And yay, she is currently writing this page.
The EP “Not Your Fault” includes the 10″ Mix and Bonus Track/Face B “Misogyny Kills,” which is based on the “Little Secrets” song “Not Your Fault.” These songs have a dark, mysterious atmosphere and discuss feminist issues. These songs primarily fall under the Cold Wave, Synth Pop, and New Wave genres. Check out her single “Not Your Fault” and the exclusive interview below:
1. Can you tell us a bit about where you come from and how you got started?
ELEANOR IDLEWOOD: Hi! So I’m Eleanor Idlewood,Im a French Electronic music producer,so I come from France,specially the Southwest.I Started the music production at 14 when my Childhood Bestie Steve showed me a Music Software.As a Music Lover,I played a lot with this software.
2. Did you have any formal training or are you self-taught?
ELEANOR IDLEWOOD: I’m Self-Taught ! I Learnt everything by myself,through the years.I’m really Proud because even some journalist,producer,musician say my work is a great job ! I Learnt Music production and playing Synthesizer by Myself !
3. Who were your first and strongest musical influences and why the name ‘ELEANOR IDLEWOOD’?
ELEANOR IDLEWOOD: My First and Strongest musical influences,is Madonna.I Love her and her works.She gaves me inspiration to be a singer but honestly I don’t know how to sing. And about my name,Eleanor it’s my First Name (not really french I know lol) and Idlewood,comes from the video game Grand Thief Auto:San Andreas,it’s the name of a town in Los Santos.I Love San Andreas because I Discovered so many artists through the radio stations in game such as Depeche Mode,this band is one of my biggest inspiration in my work
4. What do you feel are the key elements in your music that should resonate with listeners, and how would you personally describe your sound?
ELEANOR IDLEWOOD: I Think the Key Elements in my music are the Soundscape,Story Telling,I Mean my music is very cinematic,atmospheric and tell a story.Some people told me my music will work perfectly in a Movie or a Video Game and I even Play with the “fictional” part of my work.
6. What’s your view on the role and function of music as political, cultural, spiritual, and/or social vehicles – and do you try and affront any of these themes in your work, or are you purely interested in music as an expression of technical artistry, personal narrative and entertainment?
I think we can share some political messages ,tell a story,or just create a song with stupid lyrics just for fun.As a Queer and feminist person I Share these messages through my music with a little touch of Sci-fi because I love sci-fi.But sometimes I Just made a song because I Though the sound was pretty,or relaxing.But bascilly i’m telling a story with a message or not.
7. Do you feel that your music is giving you back just as much fulfilment as the amount of work you are putting into it, or are you expecting something more, or different in the future?
I Think i’m very happy right now with my music,I May have a small fan base but I do have some opportunities so I think my work is giving me back as well !
8. Could you describe your creative processes? How do usually start, and go about shaping ideas into a completed song? Do you usually start with a tune, a beat, or a narrative in your head? And do you collaborate with others in this process?
It’s very difficult to describe it ,sometimes I Just find a nice melody and so i’m about to work more more or sometimes I Just play synthesizer,find a nice sound and start to write a song.I Do write a song in a first place,and when I find the melody I Start build the song,I can’t describe what’s going on in my head at this time. But sometimes I listen to a song and the structure gives me inspiration,i’m working alone by the way,
9. What has been the most difficult thing you’ve had to endure in your life or music career so far?
ELEANOR IDLEWOOD: I won’t talk about the worst thing that happened to me in real life but the things is called Sexism and act the same into my music career.Some people don’t take me seriously when I say im Music Producer,These people are surprised that im not just a singer or the fact im working Alone on my projects.Sometimes I regret that I use my first name in my stage name.For Exemple in my Not Your Fault Ep,The track Called “Misogyny Kills”,I first Thought “I can’t Call my track like that,it will close some doors” but then I Thought “Nevermind”.And I don’t Regret this track,I Love it this is purely Instrumental but really Cinematic and with a strong message,Like My song Not Your Fault.
10. On the contrary, what would you consider a successful, proud or significant point in your life or music career so far? ELEANOR IDLEWOOD: Since my public release in 2019,I got some opportunities,meet new people and some really good things like the founder of one of the most popular Music Magazine in France like and shared my work,A Artist I used to Listen as Child who enjoy one of my works and some others Stuff like that I probably forgot sorry .But even I’m not really a Popular Music Producer,I Still have a small fan base,Good feedback about my work by journalists, producer ect so Thats really cool ! I Hope my little career will grow up.
KEEP IN TOUCH: